Liposuction remains one of the most popular methods for eliminating stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. It is a surgical procedure that can slim and sculpt almost any area of the body while also providing long-lasting results.
There are multiple liposuction techniques available to patients and the method used by the surgeon depends on the results desired by the patient as well as the area being treated and the amount of fat scheduled to be removed during the actual liposuction procedure.
Where Unwanted Fat to be Treated by Liposuction is Located on the Body
The genetics of a person are often the reason that unwanted fat is hard to get rid of via exercise and diet. In addition, the gender of a person is also responsible for the distribution of fat in a person. In general, males tend to accumulate fat that is located on the lower third of their face and they also see an increase in intra-abdominal fat (like a pot belly) that cannot be treated with liposuction. On the other hand, women often put on extra fat in areas such as the lower abdomen, arms, hips and thighs. These are areas that can be treated using liposuction.
Most Commons Areas of the Body for Liposuction
- Abdomen – No matter how hard a person exercises and tries to burn calories, there can still be a layer of fat that conceals the muscles on the abs. This area of fact can be hard to remove naturally so liposuction is a good option for patients. Besides the traditional forms of liposuction, there is also a specialized technique known as liposculpture that allows doctors to etch and accentuate the abdominal muscles to provide a better overall appearance and improved muscle definition.
- Lower Back and Flanks – The areas of fat that is commonly referred to as “a muffin top” is especially difficult to treat using only diet and exercise. In addition, this area of fat can make it difficult for patients to wear fitted clothes. Liposuction on this area can get rid of the fat that created any visible bulges while also creating a look that is smooth in appearance.
- Hips and Waist – Besides getting rid of lumpy fat and unsightly bulges, liposuction can also be used to improve the contour of the body. The surgery can help patients achieve a better silhouette thanks to a reduction in the circumference of the waist and an enhancement in the curves of the hips. Liposuction can also create an aesthetically pleasing look thanks to a more balanced waist.
- Buttocks – Liposuction is a common treatment to improve the size, shape and overall asymmetry of the buttocks. In addition, having liposuction performed on surrounding areas such as the upper thighs and the hips can augment the shapeliness of the buttocks and provide more balance to the hips and the waist.
- Inner and Outer Thighs – Excess fat and bulges can be unsightly on the outer thighs and can lead to rubbing and chafing on the inner thighs. These areas of the body do respond well to liposuction as the treatment can lead to a more sculpted and better contoured look as well as giving the legs a leaner and toned appearance.
Consult with a Board-Certified Doctor
The first step in the liposuction process is scheduling a consultation appointment with a board-certified doctor. The surgeon will examine the patient in order to determine which liposuction technique can best achieve the desired results. The doctor will also make sure the patient has realistic results in mind so the person will not be disappointed by the outcome of the surgery.
While there are multiple types of liposuction that can be performed by a doctor, some results will be visible immediately after the procedure. Patients might experience some bruising and swelling for two to three to six months that might prevent some of the results from being seen as the patient heals. Once the bruising and swelling goes down, the amount of tightening achieved by the skin can be seen by the patient and it will also be visible to others. In order to maintain the results of liposuction, patients are advised to follow a diet and exercise plan on a regular basis.